The Perishables Products Export Control Board (PPECB), South Africa’s official export certification agency for the perishable produce industry, is proud to announce the appointment of its new Board Members for the three year period effective 1 December 2016.
Established in 1926, the PPECB has delivered valuable services to the perishable products industry for over 90 years by enhancing the credibility of the South African export certificate and supporting the export competitiveness of South Africa’s perishable product industries. As a national public entity, the PPECB is constituted and mandated by the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) to perform cold chain services along with inspection and food safety services.
The PPECB Board is structured in accordance with the Perishable Products Export Control Act (PPEC Act), No 9 of 1983. In line with this the Board is appointed by, and accountable to, the Minister of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) and comprises of non-executive directors, representing industries in which the PPECB operates.
The Board welcomes six new members namely Mr Khaya Katoo, Mr Arthur Shipalana, Mr Clive Garrett, Mr Anton Kruger, Ms Martli Slabber and Mr Mooketsa Ramasodi who joined Mr Angelo Petersen, Dr Mono Mashaba, Ms Jill Atwood-Palm and Ms Eurica Scholtz who were reappointed for an additional tenure. Furthermore, Mr Angelo Petersen was redesignated as the Chairperson of the Board while Dr Mono Mashaba was redesignated as Vice Chairperson. In addition, to discharge its duties more effectively, the PPECB Board has approved and delegated authority on specific matters to various committees, namely the Audit, Human Resources and Special Projects Committees.
“The new members bring a wealth of varied skills and diverse experience which include executive and stakeholder management, marketing, finance, agriculture, food safety and biosecurity. Their proven business leadership, as well as their extensive industry experience, will serve the PPECB and the industry well” said Petersen. “Furthermore, the previous Board provided a sound platform for the new Board to build from which I believe has laid the foundations for a promising and successful tenure.”
The current PPECB Board Members include:
- Angelo Petersen (Chairperson) was elected as a member of the PPECB Board in September 2013. He represents the vegetable, grain and oilseed industry and is currently the Executive General Manager: Corporate Services at global fruit marketing and logistics player, the Capespan Group. He serves on the boards of various Capespan subsidiaries companies and also sits on the Human Resources Committee of the PPECB Board.
- Dr Mono Mashaba (Vice Chairperson) was elected as a members of the PPECB Board in September 2013 and currently sits on the Audit Committee of the Board. He represents the pome and stone fruit industries and is currently the Managing Director of Africa Excel Advisory Services, a consulting company advising South African fruit industry associations to broaden their international market access. He also serves as a Director for Hortgro, Fresh Produce Exporters Forum and Onderstepoort Biological Products.
- Jill Atwood-Palm was elected as a member of the Board in September 2013 representing the deciduous fruit industry. She is currently the General Manager of the SA Fruit and Vegetable Canners’ Association and serves as Chairperson of the Special Projects Committee of the Board.
- Eurica Scholtz was elected as a member of the Board in September 2013 representing the table grape industry. She is currently Chairperson of the Bergriver Table Grape Producer Association and serves as Chairperson of the Human Resources Committee of the Board.
- Khaya Katoo represents the citrus industry and has managed a family citrus farm since 2004 and is also the Chairman of the Entabeni Board of Directors. He is a member of the Citrus Marketing Forum and a member of the Citrus Growers Development Chamber. He also sits on the Special Projects Committee of the Board.
- Arthur Shipalana represents the fishing industry and has had involvement in numerous businesses including the current three fishing entities Basani Marine, Visko Sea Products and ZWM Fishing. In addition, he is a shareholder and Director of Cape Pine Investment Holdings which owns MTO Forestry. He also sits on the Human Resources Committee of the Board.
- Clive Garrett is the Chairperson of the Audit Committee of the Board. He represents the subtropical fruit industry and currently holds the position of Marketing Manager at ZZ2 and is a Director of the South African Avocado Growers Association also serving on their market development committee.
- Anton Kruger represents the pome and stone fruit industries and has extensive experience in stakeholder management as well as executive management in various industries. Since 2012 he has held the position of CEO of the Fresh Produce Exporters’ Forum. He also sits on the Human Resources Committee of the Board.
- Martli Slabber represents the citrus industry and is currently Managing Director of Hexrivier Sitrus. Furthermore, she was the founding Chairperson of the Soft Citrus Focus Group and serves on the Audit Committee of the Board.
- Mooketsa Ramasodi was elected as the Ministerial Representative. He currently holds the position of Deputy Director-General: Agricultural Production, Health and Food Safety at the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries and has over 19 years’ experience in government biosecurity regulatory services. He sits on the Audit Committee of the Board.
“The PPECB’s strength has always been encapsulated in the diversity of its people and I believe the composition of the new Board Members exemplify this. Their extensive and diverse experience will ensure that the PPECB remains abreast of developments across all sectors which it serves and that decisions are made collaboratively and for the betterment of the industry as a whole,” said Lucien Jansen, Chief Executive Officer, the PPECB.
The PPECB Board Members in front from left to right: A Shipalana, J Atwood-Palm, K Katoo, M Slabber, E Scholtz. At the back from left to right are M Mashaba, M Ramasodi, C Garrett, A Kruger, A Petersen.